Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfmadeamistake

Can someone explained to me what this letter is saying? I received this in the mail today, after paying my civil demand. Thank you for all your help.

Release of Civil Liability

The undersigned, on behalf of Macy's, hereby acknowledges receipt of sufficient consideration and full satisfaction of all claims arising from your incident.

The release is expressly limited to the civil liability claim of store name, and does not alter or affect any liability, penalty or punishment, which may arise under criminal statutes.

Further, this release is void if payment received for settlement is non-negotiable.

It appears to say that you have paid all of the required civil demand, but does not release you from any (possible) criminal actions that could arise.

Keep this paper. It shows that you paid your civil demand and unless the payment is returned (your check or credit card) your debt to the company is completed.

Simply by paying the civil penalty does not exclude you from the criminal portion of the act, if the company has elected to go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back