What do I have to do to get rid of my daughters boyfriend, never paid rent in my apt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigaratta

I live in Upstate NY. My daughter has been living in one of my rental units and has never paid rent. She lives there with her boyfriend. When one of my larger apartments became available they trespassed and moved into that apartment. I left them there because I was going to move in that apartment in a couple of months. I am now living there and her boyfriend has threatened me. How to I have him removed? He has never paid rent, there is no lease, they have no income. The electricity is under her name which she owes a lot. I have paid the last month for the utilities. Otherwise it would never be paid. I am desperate and now in fear for my safety. The police were called when he went into my room and threatened me, he also made a statement that careful when I drive my car, it might blow up. He works on cars. Please help. I'm broke and cannot pay an attorney. I need to now what are the steps that I can take.

When one of my larger apartments became available they trespassed and moved into that apartment. I left them there because I was going to move in that apartment in a couple of months.

oops!

I am now living there and her boyfriend has threatened me.

How so?

How to I have him removed? He has never paid rent, there is no lease, they have no income.

Evict them. Depending on the nature of the threats, obtaining a restraining order may help to speed things along.

I am desperate and now in fear for my safety. The police were called when he went into my room and threatened me, he also made a statement that careful when I drive my car, it might blow up.

That might be your grounds for a restraining order... though the credibility of the threat is pretty weak. SUrely you don't really think your car will blow up.

I'm broke and cannot pay an attorney.

You won't need an attorney. Give them a written notice to move out. If they take you seriously then you might be able to avoid court. If not, you can handle an eviction on your own. Simply go to the court and tell them you need to evict tenants and they will provide you with the appropriate documents and can guide you on procedure. You can likely qualify for a fee waiver as well if you don't have much income. In the meantime you can do anything you can think of to make living in the apartment inconvenient for them.

Don't put food in the refrigerator, remove any convenience items such as tv's and stereos that belong to you, etc. Don't mess with their property, change locks, cut electricity/water etc... those things will get you in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back