what do i do

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike7273

on may 18 th of this year i recieved quit services letter from my landlord for rent owed for the same month may 2009 that was filed with the court when i called the court to find out if a trail date had been set they saidone would be sent mail and court officer on may 21 2009 i was told by the owner that the apartment was rented and i would have to be out by june1 2009 can he do that and do i have any rights

What state do you live in?

A landlord cannot actually evict someone. Only a court can pass a judgement regarding eviction.

What typically happens (and this may vary a bit from state to state which is why I asked where you live); a landlord sends a tenant who has not paid their rent a "pay or quit" notice, giving them a certain number of days to pay what they owe. If the tenant does not do this, the landlord can then file for an eviction through their local court system. The court sets up a hearing and both parties are notified of the time and place of this hearing.

At the hearing both sides can present their side of the story why or why not the eviction can take place. The judge will provide the final judgement. If he rules for the landlord, the eviction is granted.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back