What do I do when vehicle is damaged from tow?

Richard76

Jurisdiction
California
Police towed my vehicle away, and when I went to pick it up the bumper was damaged by the tow. The attendant texted someone when I told her, and the person who responded back said it was "like that." It wasn't like that.. What do I do?

Police towed my vehicle away, and when I went to pick it up the bumper was damaged by the tow. The attendant texted someone when I told her, and the person who responded back said it was "like that." It wasn't like that.. What do I do?
You should get three estimates for the damage, then you should request compensation from the tow vendor. You may also wish to file a claim with the police department.

My son had parked the car in an area where parking was prohibited.

Thank you both for sounds advice.
If you weren't driving/parking the car, how can you be sure the damage wasn't present prior to the tow?

If you weren't driving/parking the car, how can you be sure the damage wasn't present prior to the tow?

I look at the vehicle almost every day and never seen damage. My son said there wasn't damage either. The damage to the bumper looks like a tow truck did it. It's noticeable.

I'm wondering if I can access the body cameras worn by the officer, if he had it on...

So you can't say for certain that it was done by the tow truck. You may be lucky that you don't have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

My son had parked the car in an area where parking was prohibited.

Maybe he should pay for the repairs.

It's noticeable.

Do you have a repair estimate yet?

Post a photo. Use the green button "Upload a File."

I'm wondering if I can access the body cameras worn by the officer, if he had it on...

Unlikely. But there's no harm in asking.

You can also go back to the scene to see if there were any security cameras.

Back