Assault & Battery What do I do? Do I need to get an attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Story

Jurisdiction
Texas
My 13 daughter an di had a disagreement one night. I pulled her hair. My son was supposedly on the phone with their dad. Dad says he called his police buddy. But the cops were called out. They showed up 2-3 hours after the incident. The talked to the kids privately and nothing else was done., They said it sounds like you had an off night. CPS was called and talked to all of us and they said the same thing and case closed. I recieved a citation exactly 2 months after the incident. I appear in our city court in 2 weeks for assault/family violence. I hear I will be ok just go and plead not guilty. But do I need an attorney. I am a educator so if they don't want to except me saying not guilty and want to press this along I can loose my license and of course my kids. Also makes me nervous because my ex has police friends. What do you think I should do? I don't know if this matters but I am constantly manipulated and emotional abused by my ex. It was bad when we were married and now he uses the kids against me. Like I think this incident was for the reason I said no to not paying my sons car insurance. I need some guidance please.

Even at the misdemeanor level, domestic violence convictions can have serious repercussions (and your teaching license is certainly at risk). You most certainly do need a lawyer and you also need to stop talking about this to ANYBODY else. Your communications with your attorney can not be used against you, everything else you say can.

It isn't clear what charges you face, but based on what you have written it seems the evidence against you is likely minimal.
Most definately plead not guilty, and with the help of an attorney make this all go away.

My 13 daughter an di had a disagreement one night. I pulled her hair. My son was supposedly on the phone with their dad. Dad says he called his police buddy. But the cops were called out. They showed up 2-3 hours after the incident. The talked to the kids privately and nothing else was done., They said it sounds like you had an off night. CPS was called and talked to all of us and they said the same thing and case closed. I recieved a citation exactly 2 months after the incident. I appear in our city court in 2 weeks for assault/family violence. I hear I will be ok just go and plead not guilty. But do I need an attorney. I am a educator so if they don't want to except me saying not guilty and want to press this along I can loose my license and of course my kids. Also makes me nervous because my ex has police friends. What do you think I should do? I don't know if this matters but I am constantly manipulated and emotional abused by my ex. It was bad when we were married and now he uses the kids against me. Like I think this incident was for the reason I said no to not paying my sons car insurance. I need some guidance please.

If you are really an educator, I would expect you to know the difference between "except" and "accept".

If you are really an educator, I would expect you to know the difference between "except" and "accept".[/QUOTE

And that you might have a clue that pulling hair isn't an appropriate way to deal with a 13 year old child that you are supposed to be parenting. In fact, it sounds more like a brawl. Which is why you need to stop talking about this incident everywhere except to this attorney you get asap. Talk to the counselor you also need to get about your dealings with your ex and how to work with your children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back