1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

What do I do? Do I need to get an attorney? Assault & Battery

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges' started by Story, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Story

Story Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Texas
    My 13 daughter an di had a disagreement one night. I pulled her hair. My son was supposedly on the phone with their dad. Dad says he called his police buddy. But the cops were called out. They showed up 2-3 hours after the incident. The talked to the kids privately and nothing else was done., They said it sounds like you had an off night. CPS was called and talked to all of us and they said the same thing and case closed. I recieved a citation exactly 2 months after the incident. I appear in our city court in 2 weeks for assault/family violence. I hear I will be ok just go and plead not guilty. But do I need an attorney. I am a educator so if they don’t want to except me saying not guilty and want to press this along I can loose my license and of course my kids. Also makes me nervous because my ex has police friends. What do you think I should do? I don’t know if this matters but I am constantly manipulated and emotional abused by my ex. It was bad when we were married and now he uses the kids against me. Like I think this incident was for the reason I said no to not paying my sons car insurance. I need some guidance please.

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Yes, you need an attorney - and therapy.

cynthiag likes this.
  3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Yes.

You are being prosecuted for a crime.

Serious life altering business.

Zigner and zddoodah like this.
  4. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

Even at the misdemeanor level, domestic violence convictions can have serious repercussions (and your teaching license is certainly at risk). You most certainly do need a lawyer and you also need to stop talking about this to ANYBODY else. Your communications with your attorney can not be used against you, everything else you say can.

Red Kayak likes this.
  5. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

It isn't clear what charges you face, but based on what you have written it seems the evidence against you is likely minimal.
    Most definately plead not guilty, and with the help of an attorney make this all go away.

6. Paddywakk

Paddywakk Member

If you are really an educator, I would expect you to know the difference between "except" and "accept".

Zigner, army judge and justblue like this.
  7. commentator

commentator New Member

justblue and Zigner like this.