Other Immigration Law What Can I Do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeAnne

ok me and my bf really wanna be together.. he's american (detroit, MI) and i'm from Canada (windsor, ON).. we wanna get married but money is tite.. i'm on social assisstance and everything i'm seeing is sayin i can never sponsor him.. i want off assistance but its hard so i'm attending school to do this.. but we don't want to wait that long.. this past may i gave birth to our daughter and he wants to be able to live here and provide for us.. now i'mi confused on some things.. like the common-law stuff.. how can anyone be common law if they cannot legally live in this country?? can someone explain that to me.. i think i'm missing something on that.. but i dont know what else to do.. it seems that even if we do get married i'll still not be able to sponsor til i'm off assistance.. its becoming very frustrating for us.. he stays over weekends a lot since its such short distance from here to there.. but does anyone know any other possible idea that can help us get him here to live and work?? cuz border and gas is just rediculous to spend.. ahh i'm just gettin frustrated..

any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

From what I understand you want your future husband to live in Canada. Now I am not an expert on Canadian immigration law, therefore I cannot tell you anything about it.

But you are mixing up apples and oranges in your posting, so I want to try to clear up some confusion:

The law of marriage is totally different and independent from immigration law (this is valid for Canada as well as the US).

You can be married and still not be allowed to enter the country where your spouse resides or is a citizen of.

So, it does not really matter if you are married legally or under the theory of "common law marriage" if you cannot fulfill other provisions of the immigration law, in your case the provision that you must be able to support your spouse.

So that alone seems to be the issue here: the ability to sponsor. You would have to find out if you could somehow qualify. Under American law for example the greater family sometimes can sponsor an immigrant if the spouse herself cannot. But I don't know if something like this is possible under Canadian law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back