What are valid apartment damages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterfly13

I moved into my 2-bedr apartment in Sept. 2005. I moved out Jan 31 2009. The landlord told me not to fill any holes in the walls; just take the nails out.
I had a walk-through with the landlord the day I turned my keys in. He marked one thing on the walk-through sheet: bifold doors are damaged (that is true).
Two weeks later, I get a letter from the big boss (not the landlord, but the owner). The letter was my walk-through sheet, with additional writings on the side: "You damaged the apartment. The following costs are for restoration:" and then he listed a bunch of damages that I simply am not sure about:
1. had lock (i installed a metal lock by screwing the bolts into the door) $100
2. bdr fixture (i got an Ikea lamp installed and left it there; I also left their original lamp in the apartment) $35 (I don't have a problem with this fee)
3. Wall repair $65 (he claims that the holes in the walls were too large, requiring him to fill them....)
4. Bi-fold door $100 (I was aware of that)
5. shower rods $35 (he claims the shower rods are "destroyed" and cannot be used. I actually used them just fine, and am not sure what he is talking about)

In addition to all the damages, I was charged $275 for cleaning of the apartment.

I had a $450 deposit and of course, none of it was returned to me. I owe him $232 in addition to him holding on to my deposit.

Do any of the charges I listed seem unusual? I was directly told by the landlord not to fill any holes in the walls. I don't think I owe him for the shower rods, as I did not think of them as "destroyed"; besides, I lived in the place for 3.5 yrs; things age.

Anything I can do at this point? I have not paid my bill yet ($232)

Thank you.

A tenant can be charged for any damages above that described as "normal wear and tear"; the question that comes up involves what is "normal" wear and tear. As a general rule, the idea is to leave the unit in the same condition as when you moved in.

Small holes in the wall that can barely be seen are considered normal wear and tear. Larger holes that require patching will also often require painting and this can increase the cost to the former tenant.

If you disagree with the amount kept, you contact your landlord in writing regarding the amounts you dispute and demand they return or reconsider these amounts.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back