What are renters rights if roommate violates lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megg

My daughter signed a one-lease in February with a 'friend' for an apartment. About a month ago, the friend moved in her boyfriend, and since then the living conditions became so unbearable that my daughter moved out almost a month ago. According to the landlord, the choices are 1) pay the rent for the next 7 months until the lease expires, 2) they can both pay a discounted rate to vacate the premises, but only if they both leave, 3) the roommate can find someone to take over my daughters part of the lease. The roommate has said she will not pay the fee to move out, but she doesn't want my daughter there either. She has said that my daughter can either pay the vacating fees in full herself, or keep paying her half of the rent.
Okay, my question is, it states in the lease agreement that the tennants may not move in anyone that is not listed on the lease, which the boyfriend is not, or it violates the lease. In a separate section, it states that 3 adults may not reside together in the apartment unless they are related or two of them are married. The landlord refuses to do anything about the boyfriend living there, so does this change my daughters' responsibilities at all? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back