Roomate What are my rights

EngelDerNacht

Jurisdiction
Colorado
Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

So. I have been homeless nearly 3..4 times this year due to, in all seriousness, life just crapping all over me.

My mom and I were living together, but we had to leave where we were. Having nowhere else to go, we were at risk of sleeping in her vehicles. A then friend of hers offered for us to come and stay with him.

He invited us.

My mom was paying rent, I was doing housework and such to keep my keep up. My mom left because our housemate got greedy I guess? Demanded more rent from her for whatever reason he saw fit, saying she was taking advantage of him though she was actually paying rent?

Me? I've kept up my end of the deal. Or, I was. He let his ex-wife move in and the woman is a psychotic menace.

I'm in the process of trying to get a job, which I have been in the process of doing for a few months, however..having no car of my own makes that difficult so it's been a slow process.

This means that I have not been paying rent.

Anyway. I get food stamp benefits. I have purchased food for myself, only for the ex-wife to bitch that I am not "sharing" or buying food for everyone else to eat as well. Even though..doing so can cause me to loose my benefits. She DOES NOT CARE about that fact.
On that note, BEFORE she moved in, when I bought milk, eggs, bread and butter, yes..I did share them. Even at the risk of loosing my benefits if someone found out; I figured it was the least I could do for not paying rent, even though I want to help more.

Even with that in mind, the exwife is complaining that I'M EATING food. Food I BOUGHT FOR MYSELF..or if it's the bread and milk, eating all of it.
Things that, logically, I have every right to enjoy the hell out of.

Many times I have been accused of eating things that AREN'T mine. Like.....a whole half a turkey and then putting the carcass back in the fridge. I did no such thing. At all...
And, eating a whole pan of brownies. Which..I also never did. I'm being accused of "getting up at night and eating all the food." Which, yes, sometimes I do get up at night as I'm a nightowl, and eat MY OWN FOOD.

THAT ASIDE, because this is just the recent crap going on here...

I feel really really oppressed. I barely leave the room I stay in. And, I'm afraid to eat. I'm AFRAID TO EAT..for fear I'll either get bitched at for not sharing or bitched at for eating something of theirs. I'm afraid to go do laundry. I'm afraid to go shower. For fear I'll be accused of something or other.

No, talking to the housemate himself is useless. He's one of these hypocritical people that say one thing to one person and something different to someone else...plus he just doesn't listen. It's "his house" that I have to respect, which I get. But, there's a difference between respecting someones "rules" of their house and then just being treated like I have been. Plus, when I moved in...which was months before he let the exwife move in, there were no rules discussions. It's just been common sense and courtesy practice, and him and I got along just fine.
Can't talk to the exwife. When I say she's a psycho, she's a psycho. She also does not listen and her word is the LAW...

NOW, since I've gotten way off track..

About a week ago, SHE...pulled me into the living room and said I had two weeks (maybe 3) to get out. That I was "causing problems" and needed to go (keep in mind, I stay in my room all the time...)

This woman is not on the lease. She does not pay rent. She does not even have a job. From what I understand, she's not even allowed in the community. But she's saying I have to leave.

I talked to my housemate about this. HE CLAIMS that he never said I had to go (which, I firmly believe he agreed to it and just had -her- tell me cause he's a chicken...) and that his exwife has no say in the matter.

He doesn't own the house, but he does pay rent.

I don't pay rent (already stated..and I would if I had the money), nor am I on the lease. I do have permission to be in the community, however.

Right now, I'm trying to get things sorted out with myself as far as getting a job and finding transportation to said job. So, I'm doing what I can to both try and get out of here or, if I stay, be able to pay my share.

That being said..I still feel my rights are going to be violated with that whole "it's my house, my rules" thing.

As said, there's a difference between someones rules of the roost and just oppressing someone and causing them to feel like they have no basic human rights.

Because of the recent accusation of me eating a whole half a turkey, AND, might I add..the housemates 13 year old defending me cause she knows I damn well didn't do it...I'm afraid I am going to be kicked out. I'm afraid that..1 of 2 things will happen. I'm going to leave for some reason (appointment or interview) and I'll come back and be locked out (I was never given a key...) OR..my stuff is going to be outside AND I'm going to be locked out.

My mom says neither one of them can just do that, and neither one of them (especially not the exwife) can just tell me I have to leave without giving proper legal notice like a legal eviction.

I don't know all the laws and bi-laws. So..I figured if it's "his" house (even though he doesn't own it), if HE tells me I have to leave, I have to. But, he can't just give me two weeks. And, he can't lock me out or throw my crap outside.

What are my rights? I've lived here since September or October? I don't quite recall.

Things would be fine if SHE was not here. That's a fact. She's done nothing but caused drama.

Please, let me know what rights I have. And what I can/can't do, should/shouldn't say if they try to force me out.

What are my rights? I've lived here since September or October?

You have the RIGHT to voluntarily leave BEFORE he or she or they take legal action.
What action?
An eviction action can be filed against you.
Eventually you'll be forcibly evicted by some sheriff's deputies pursuant to a court order.

I suggest you just leave of your own accord.

You have no rights in the home or on the property of another person, unless you p[ossess a signed lease.
Absent such a lease, or acting in accord with an oral promise to pay, you can still be evicted.

As you have no such lease, oral or written, your continued stay is tenuous.

The law cares not about your Issues.
The law cares that the property owner or tenants want you gone.
I suggest you get to getting, before the deputies haul you and your stuff out to the curbside.

You have very few rights. You have no lease and pay no rent. These people do not have an obligation to let you live there until you feel like moving out. Why would you think they must? I'm sure the gf isn't crazy about having some random person living in the home. That is totally understandable, especially if that person isn't contributing to the household in any way.

You have the RIGHT to voluntarily leave BEFORE he or she or they take legal action.
What action?
An eviction action can be filed against you.
Eventually you'll be forcibly evicted by some sheriff's deputies pursuant to a court order.

I suggest you just leave of your own accord.

You have no rights in the home or on the property of another person, unless you p[ossess a signed lease.
Absent such a lease, or acting in accord with an oral promise to pay, you can still be evicted.

As you have no such lease, oral or written, your continued stay is tenuous.

The law cares not about your Issues.
The law cares that the property owner or tenants want you gone.
I suggest you get to getting, before the deputies haul you and your stuff out to the curbside.

If it were that easy, I would have been gone already. The only reason I want to fight to stay, and see how long they have to legally give me...is....I will be homeless.

I'm aware the law doesn't care. Thank you America.

You have very few rights. You have no lease and pay no rent. These people do not have an obligation to let you live there until you feel like moving out. Why would you think they must? I'm sure the gf isn't crazy about having some random person living in the home. That is totally understandable, especially if that person isn't contributing to the household in any way.

She's..not his gf, she's the exwife. And I was here before she was annd..she just wants me out because she is actually a psycho? I mean, why gives you the right to sit there and tell me that you don't think she is when you have NO idea the crap she's done? You don't, that's right.

If it were that easy, I would have been gone already. The only reason I want to fight to stay, and see how long they have to legally give me...is....I will be homeless.

I'm aware the law doesn't care. Thank you America.

Your fight will be very short, and again, YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS.

The world isn't obligated to pay my way, or yours.

Good luck.

And please stop calling the exwife a "psycho". You sound like the least qualified person in the neighborhood to be tossing these medical terms around.

Gail

Back