what are my rights

tlt1436

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
I purchased a storage building, metal carport, play ground equipment and patio furniture from my next door neighbor (a male app. 30 years old) approximately 45 days ago. He approached me and offered to sell all of this to me because he said the house was going to be in foreclosure in a few months and he was moving and didn't want to move this stuff. Come to find out his mother had moved to Texas 6 months earlier and it was her possessions not his. He was still living in the house with her permission and he is in a drug rehab now. His mother came home to visit and found her stuff sold and filed a report with Sheriff's Dept but didn't press charges on her son. She now wants me to return everything that I purchased. My husband and I paid him $3550. and had to miss 4 days of work combined to move things and spent $400 more on having the metal carport moved. I paid cash for all of it and only have a few text messages from the son about selling me things and stating what he originally paid for it and how much he would sell it to me for. I am not the only person this happened to there is 2 others that he sold to also. What are my rights?

I suggest you contact the sheriff or the the police and file a complaint against the son for selling you property that didn't belong to him.

You may never get the money back, but you aren't entitled to keep the property he purloined.

I suggest you make sure the person you buy things form in the future has legal title to the items before you fork over your dough.

If you do nothing, you my end up being prosecuted yourself for possession of stolen goods, or whatever charge exists in your state.

The Sheriff's Dept has notified me that is how I originally found out. I was assured that no charges would be brought against me. S.O. told me that I could work out a deal with the mother if I wanted to give or sell her some of the things back to her but stuff was mine now and if she didn't want to work out a deal with me and wanted all her stuff back then Sheriff's dept would press charges on son for felony false pretense. I have text messages from the son saying how much "he" paid for some of the items and what he was selling them for. The mother wants her things back and no charges brought on her 30 year old son and for me to just be out all my money and time.

The Sheriff's Dept has notified me that is how I originally found out. I was assured that no charges would be brought against me. S.O. told me that I could work out a deal with the mother if I wanted to give or sell her some of the things back to her but stuff was mine now and if she didn't want to work out a deal with me and wanted all her stuff back then Sheriff's dept would press charges on son for felony false pretense. I have text messages from the son saying how much "he" paid for some of the items and what he was selling them for. The mother wants her things back and no charges brought on her 30 year old son and for me to just be out all my money and time.

Then you must decide what is acceptable for you.
Be advised, things change when criminal prosecutions near.
Ultimately the decision to pursue criminal cases rests with your county prosecutor or district attorney, however its known in your state.

If it was my call, I'd offer her the option to purchase the items back from you.
That way, you at least tried to work with her.
Bottom line, ball is in your court, and you decide what works best for you.
In all actuality, she may have been on on the scam and is appearing to protect the son.
Either way, that's not your problem.

Back