what are my rights

mam714605

My friend and I were in target, she had been banned but recently was in court and it was lifted. As we headed to the exit the security staff (4) surrounded us and grabbed our arms and had their hands on our backs pushing us towards the office, making a scene and accused us of theft while being rude and cussing at us. Upon entering the office grabbed our belongings and bags and rifled through them. They didn't find anything but due to her previous ban they were rude and getting in our faces cussing us out. Wrote a report up saying that my friend was trespassing and attempted theft. After leaving the office, I forgot something at the register so I returned to get it, then was badgered by one of the same security demanding I get out, threatrnuw to call the cops, and slandering my name and cussing me out. What are our rights?

My friend and I were in target, she had been banned but recently was in court and it was lifted.
Why was she in court?? Was it for a prior suspected shoplifting case? Even if charges were dismissed, the court cannot generally tell Target who they can or cannot "ban" from their property.

As we headed to the exit the security staff (4) surrounded us and grabbed our arms and had their hands on our backs pushing us towards the office, making a scene and accused us of theft while being rude and cussing at us. Upon entering the office grabbed our belongings and bags and rifled through them. They didn't find anything but due to her previous ban they were rude and getting in our faces cussing us out. Wrote a report up saying that my friend was trespassing and attempted theft. After leaving the office, I forgot something at the register so I returned to get it, then was badgered by one of the same security demanding I get out, threatrnuw to call the cops, and slandering my name and cussing me out. What are our rights?
You can call the police and report that you were manhandled (i.e. battered) without cause. You can consult attorneys and find out how much it might cost you to sue Target for your treatment (likely far more than any reward for an incident without damages). You can choose never to shop or steal from target again.

If you are looking for a reply that says you and your friend have a million dollar suit against Target, that's not going to be forthcoming. You MIGHT have some claim against the store for the way you were handled, but, it's not going to be big ... if it exists at all. Keep in mind that the incident likely was also caught on surveillance video, so, you'd better really think hard about what you and your friend might have done to bring about any physical detention.

That being said, if they PHYSICALLY battered you and forced you to go with them by dragging/pushing/pulling you along against your will, since they apparently did not detain you for the police (unless they called and the police said they could not respond), there may well be a criminal and/or civil case against the store or the employees for their actions. It won't be major if it exists, but, there might be one. But, if you don't have the money for an attorney, your best bet would be to just avoid Target - at least that one.

Back