what are my rights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemmusic

hello my name is Eric Mendez and i live in NYC. my father lives in deer field beach and is in the hospital now cause he had a stroke not long ago. i will be in Florida on the 19 th to see my dad take care of him and make sure his things are in order. his girlfriend has the keys to his home and his car but i don't think she wants to hand them over to anyone . like i said i will be there the 19th and have no place to stay . i will be basically in the street in Florida for the 12 days i took off work to see my dad. what are my rights being that i am his son to getting her to hand over the keys to my dads place. i know that i have the right to get power of attorney
to be in charge of his things. i don't know how long does that process take or if its even necessary to take that route. my dad cant speak and his right side is paralyzed. so she thinks that being his girlfriend for a 2 years gives her the right to speak for him and take over his things and hold the keys to his home from his children and i don't think its right or fair. so where do i even stand at this point ? do i have the right to obtain those keys from her ? what steps should i take ?...............Eric Mendez

You're going over to deal with the health issues of your father, not take over his place of residence.

What type of power of attorney do you wish to obtain? Power of attorney regarding health decisions for your father or power of attorney for his financial decisions.

Gail

You're going over to deal with the health issues of your father, not take over his place of residence.

What type of power of attorney do you wish to obtain? Power of attorney regarding health decisions for your father or power of attorney for his financial decisions.

Gail

no we are not gonna take over his home we just want the right to stay there
cause we have no place to stay while we are there dealing with his getting better and all. hes still in the hospital but she wont hand over the keys. we want to take control of his medical decisions and his finances. she has control of his check book and has been writing checks and signing his name and thats ilegal. so i dont know what steps i can take or if we file power of attorney how long does the process take ? cause as of right now shes in charge and running with it.

Wait until you get to Florida and have a chance to discuss the status of your fathers medical issues with his medical team before you go assuming that he's unable to engage in his medical and financial decision making.

Many people who have suffered strokes improve with therapy. Even if his physical deficits are permanent he may still be able to make his needs known regarding medical and financial issues.

Ask the girlfriend if you can stay at the house while you are there.

Gail

i didnt have to ask her she told my out right you cant stay at your fathers house.
he still cant speak and cant move his right side. she has a condo and he has his own condo so his is empty but she wont let the family stay there .

are you over 18? as a last resort you may be able to contact the police. i wonder what other s in the community here think of that idea?

i am 42 years old and just and update we have been fighting back and fourth and in the process she has been taking things out of his apartment tvs jewelry money and she now is trying to sell his new car . a friend told me if shes stupid enough to forge my dads signiture on his title she can go to jail . mind you my dad cant speak a word yet and shes cleaning him out like if he was dead . and she still wont give us the keys ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back