what are my options for unpaid invoice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overdue

Hello,
I am trying to receive money that is owed me for 12 hours of work. This person called me up to repair a intercom system for the condo building. He stated he was the building manager and that a bank owned the building, so there was "unlimited funds" to pay bills. I went onsite and gave him my suggestions on what needed to be done.--( HAD TO RUN NEW WIRES)-- He agreed to my work and it was only a verbal agreement. I did not get anything signed by him or the bank that owned the building.
I completed the work in a timely manner with everything we agreed upon. After the job was completed, the intercom system was working. I mailed him an invoice, which he claims he never received. I finally faxed him the invoice and he recieved it and stated he would send it to the bank to get me a check. Now, after 3 weeks of waiting ( and some phone calls for a status update from him on payment), I called him again and he stated that the bank sent my check over 2 weeks ago. Surprisingly, I never received a check.
What are my options for next step?
Do I have a case to stand on in claims court?

Send a demand letter first. If you can, fax it again and make a demand for payment by date certain with note about the prior conversation and promise. Follow up by sending the fax via mail (regular is fine.) If you don't get a response, you can file or send a final fax warning the debtor. I usually handle it this way since most will usually pay once they realize you're going the court route and it will be a slam dunk. Good luck.

Trick him if need be... but get something from him in writing in which he acknowledges that you did the work. You don't need him to admit that he owes you money... but if he acknowledges that you did the work then you can make the argument in court for a judge to award fair compensation regardless of what your agreement was.

I have talk to a lawyer and went over several options. I took lawprofessor advice and typed a letter demanding payment before legal suit is considered and faxed it. I will wait a couple of days and see. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back