What are average settlement amounts for rear end accidents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo

I was rear ended, causing my car to hit the one in front of me. The driver that hit me was entirely at fault, with police documentation attesting to this. There was considerable damage to my car, which has been fixed, as well as injury to myself in the form of mild whip lash, and back pain. I recieved treatment and medication for the injuries, and now am faced with settling with the insurance company. How are settlement amounts usually reached? The insurance company is offering me a few hundred dollars to cover my co-pay for the visit and the medications. They also covered the cost of the vehicular repair which was about six thousand dollars. Is this normal? It seems strange to me that the cost of repairing my car to them is less than the cost of repairing me. I had heard that settlement amounts are normally 3-5 times the amount of the cost of damages to the car as well as cost of the entire medical costs, not just the co-pays. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Paul

Since not all accidents are created equal, neither are all settlement agreements. It would be impossible to give you an "average" figure and if we did, it would have no legal significance whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back