Wedding Officiant Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlg9221

I hope someone can help me. I am a newly registered wedding officiant and a member of the American Council of Wedding Officiants. I have gone through the PA Statutes regarding persons qualified to solemnize marriages.

The information is rather vague. There is nothing that states that someone other than a Minister or Justice can (or cannot) perform this function. I have even emailed my local courthouse to check on this. They had no information for me. I also had asked them about any registration requirements. They said that they are not aware of any requirements.

Can anyone tell me if they know of any registration requirements or restrictions on someone like me performing this function? I just want to make sure I will not be doing something illegal.

Thank you for your help!

What's the statute number?

Seems pretty clear to me.

http://dsf.chesco.org/wills/lib/wills/pdf/marriage_policies.pdf

Persons qualified to solemnize marriages.

(a) General Rule. -- The following are authorized to solemnize marriages between persons that produce a marriage license issued under this part:

1. A justice, judge or district justice of this Commonwealth.

2. A former or retired justice, judge or district justice of this Commonwealth who is serving as a senior judge or senior district justice as provided or prescribed by law.

3. An active or senior judge or full-time magistrate of the District Courts of the United States for the Eastern, Middle or Western District of Pennsylvania.

4. An active or senior judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit who is a resident of this Commonwealth.

5. A mayor of any city or borough of this Commonwealth.

6. A minister, priest or rabbi of any regularly established church or congregation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back