Wedding gown ruined by cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emel712

I gave my white silk gown to have it cleaned and when I got it back it was unrecognizable :eek:. It went from a pearl white gown to a dirty yellow rag with burn marks. I have filed a claim against the dry cleaning business that claims that my gown was yellow when I brought it in to get cleaned. We have gone to the settlement conference and nothing was established. The owner offered to refund my cleaning bill of $150. The gown cost over $2000 to make, it is custom made and it's not something you can buy at a department store. We have only filed for the cost of the dress, not sentimental value or psychological distress. The judge at the conference suggested for me to take him to trial. I would like to, however I prefer to file an offer to settle without going to trial, it seems like it will be a long process with out the guarantee of payment.

My question is how good are my chances of winning if we go to trail with this case?

Q: My question is how good are my chances of winning if we go to trail (sic) with this case?

A: In the USA, your chances would be about 50-50, more or less. I suspect it is the same in Canada.

Do you have before pictures? Are you in possession of the gown now? Do you have the receipts for the cost of the dress. With the before and after pictures I would think you have a good chance of winning some of the cost of the dress if it is totally ruined as you describe, but maybe at a depreciated cost. Add the dry cleaning bill as part of the cost as well. What were you going to do with the dress after the cleaning? Also consider what the monetary cap is on small claims law suits.

I have pictures and video, and the dress looks totally different, different color, different texture. I still have some of the original fabric.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back