we share lease, she wants me to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grammyland

My girlfriend and I leased a house a month ago. It is a 1-year lease. 3 days ago she said she doesn't think our relationship is going to work and she gave me 4 days to move out.
She has 1 child.
I have 4 children who are in foster care.
She and I have been good friends for years. My mother even has added her to our family as my sister. She offered to help even before we were in the relationship and we had started the "relationship" on that platonic basis. The reason we entered into the lease was so I'd have a place that was acceptable to the child protection agency to bring my children. (the children were placed in foster care as protection from their mother, not me)
But then, in addition to the close friendship, we began a closer relationship. It is THAT relationship that hasn't worked.
We finally have everything in place and I am days away from getting my kids and she drops this bomb that she wants me to move.
We are both on the lease. Neither of us are employed. She is paying the expenses from money she got in a settlement.
She told me she'd pay everything until I got the kids and got a job.
I don't have a problem moving out of the relationship but I do have a problem moving out of the house. If I do, I don't have a place to bring my children and they won't be released to me.
I am wondering if she can make me leave if I am on the lease along with her.
I have been told that if I move I am still half-responsible for the lease.
I need to know if I have the legal right to challenge her request that I move. I'm not trying to cause trouble for her, I just need to have the place to bring home my kids.
After that, we can take the time needed to get out of the lease and we can go our separate ways, even if she stays in the house and I and my kids go somewhere else.
What rights do I have to tell her that she can't kick me out?

Last edited:
I would absolutely not move. You need to fulfill your end of the lease otherwise they will go after you for it. If she moved out then find another roommate (one that will tolerate that many kids) but it sounds like you have some issues with foster care and getting your kids back. You need to find some sort of employment. Why were the kids taken in the first place?

She cannot make you leave if you are on the lease. So let her know if she moves out she will be responsible for half the rent until you find another roommate. Since you have 4 kids, how many bedrooms is this place?

Your girlfriend cannot tell you to move out. She is not the landlord. Your lease is with the landlord and since it is a one year lease, both of you must follow this lease or face the legal consequences from "breaking" it.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back