Washington State Speeding Ticket by Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsonbill

I recently got a ticket on WB SR 20 near Anacortes for 65 in a 55 mph zone. The patrolman who pulled me over said a plane had measured my speed at 65, but I was in the right lane with traffic, actually going below the speed limit at about 52mph. Obviously, I'm going to fight this one.

About a mile after the plane supposedly saw me speeding, where I was pulled over, another patrolman had just pulled over an almost identical black SUV who had passed me and the other traffic at a higher rate of speed just a moment earlier. Obviously, I think the plane spotted this SUV, but the WSP pulled us both over. If I had thought of it at the time, I would have taken a picture of this other SUV pulled over in front of me.

Is there a way for me to present this to the judge? Any suggestions on fighting it myself, or hiring an attorney nearby? Thanks for your help!

(Note: I have already used my deferred prosecution once, in 2001, so I don't think that option is available to me.)

In Washington State the officers do not have to appear unless you subponea them. I would request a deposition and then make them both show for court. If either one of them doesn't appear then they have to dismiss.

Through a FOI request you can get the other citations for that day. Then you can question the officer in the airplane about how many vehicles, etc. Also in Washington the citation has to be filed within two working days I think. Get a copy of when it was filed and check the law. It is a very good idea to observe a couple of trials. The clerk of court can give you the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back