Was my video tapiing o my conversation withf motel manager at its front desk illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkJ

Hi,

I had stayed for a few days at a motel in Los Angeles. On one occasion, while I was staying at a motel in Los Angeles, I secretly video recorded a conversation that I had with a motel manager. The manager was behind window of the front desk service counter which is in the outer office. One can see other occupants walk up to that same window as we are speaking.

In our conversation, the manager and I made an agreement as a settlement of problems that I had with motel living conditions. However, later, the manager denied such a conversation.

Did that manager have a reasonable expectation of privacy? Was such a recording unlawful?
I was wondering if she had a reasonable expectation of privacy, especially since other occupants periodically walked up to that same desk to speak with her during our conversation.

Thank you

My own opinion is that there is no expectation of privacy in a public area where routine business is carried out. However, my opinion doesn't matter much.

Agree with mightymoose except the part where his opinion doesn't matter much. :)

Per my info on Ca. this is not allowed for confidential communications. However, the term "confidential communication" statutorily excludes communication made in public gatherings and situations where the parties to the communication may reasonably expect that the communication may be overheard, or audio/video recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back