Criminal Law Was It right that I was arrested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksteriii

Hi, My name is mark and I'm from England, I met my current girlfriend (she is a Candian citizen)online 2 years ago, I came to Canada on a temporary resident visa on the 17th november of last year, A couple of months later my girlfriend and I had a noisy row and the neighbour called the police, Everything had calmed down but the police turned up (no charges or anything was made),Now in the meantime I've been here for over my allowed 6 months, We went to speak to a so called immigration expert before the 6 months was up and he made it sound as though I could stay here without an extension and not be detected (his words were "There are bigger fish to catch so you won't get found out") and he also said that after I'd been here a year I could still apply for permanent residency, So last tuesday my girlfriend took a call from a lady from immigration saying that they were coming to pick me up on wednesday morning because a police report had been submitted because the police had been called and immigration are informed and that she shouldn't tell me in case I ran away, Wednesday morning came and I was here waiting for them, I was immediately arrested and taken to the immigration office in Toronto and questioned, The lady told me to be totally honest so I was, I admitted to having 2 cash under the table jobs (which she knew about) while I was here which she said wasn't a big problem but then she asked if I had a criminal record back in England to which i said I did, It was for criminal damage and it happened 18 years ago when I was 18, I was fined 500GBP and that was the end of that, The lady at immigration then informed me that because It went through an adult court in England I was in fact inadmisable to Canada, The next thing I knew I was being handcuffed and shackled and taken to the Maplehurst correctional facility in Toronto where I was going to be detained for 48 hours until an immigration review would take place to see if I could be released under bail conditions to my girlfriend who would post bail for me, The 48 hours passed and the interview took place and they gave me my release papers and my girlfriend signed all the pepers she had to, There was nobody from immigration to pick me up and take me back to the immigration centre that I first went to for my girlfriend to pick me up so I ended up staying in prison for another 3 days on top of the initial 2, It seems extreme that I should have to go through all this when the crime was none violent and in England I wouldn't even have to declare it because of the nature of it( I've wanted to do carework while in the UK and a police check is mandatory...the crime I commited would not have to be declared!) Now I'm waiting for immigration to decide when they are sending me back and they say I'll have to get a police pardon before I can return, Once that is done I have to stay out of Canda for 12 months because of an exclusion order, That I would expect but I feel bitter that I was placed in prison for what happened, Would I have a case against them for doing that in the first place and for holding me for a further 3 days after we had the release papers signed?

Not many people here do Canadian law.........Lets hope you fine some help.

Im really surprised that they didnt flip out about the under the table jobs!!My husband is American and he hasnt been able to work here in Canada. Its pretty tuff!!!

Just try to calm down and seek more advice.........Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back