Was I rightfully ticketed?

Cathy Flaherty

Jurisdiction
New York
I was legally parked in the street outside my house and I recieved a ticket for the officer was unable to read my vin #. Is this ticket lawful or not. No crime or report committed just innocently leagally parked outside my house. I need to know if I should pay ticket or fight it. Thank you

I recieved a ticket for officer unable to veiw my VIN#. I was leagally parked outside my house on the street with no just cause for an officer to even suspect anything wrong but yet I got a ticket and I'd like to know if it was wrongfully giving and if I should pay it or fight it. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Cathy Flaherty

Last edited by a moderator:
I recieved a ticket for officer unable to veiw my VIN#. I was leagally parked outside my house on the street with no just cause for an officer to even suspect anything wrong but yet I got a ticket and I'd like to know if it was wrongfully giving and if I should pay it or fight it. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Cathy Flaherty

The only way to know for sure is take the matter before a judge.

That said, the VIN must be visible to law enforcement in the states with which I'm familiar.

I was legally parked in the street outside my house and I recieved a ticket for the officer was unable to read my vin #.

1 - What's the statute number that appears on your citation?

2 - Have you looked at your VIN to see if it's readable or not?

3 - VIN means Vehicle Identification Number so adding the # sign (or the word "number) after it is redundant.

This has nothing to do with California, counselor.

If a motor vehicle is parked on a public highway in New York it's VIN must be visible.

If your VIN is not readable then you are guilty.

Back