Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Was denied purchase of beer because minor was with me. Exact law on this anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawbreaker

Ok. My brother in law and I went to the store after we ate out because I was getting me beer. I'm 25. He's 19. We got to the cashier, and she denied purchase because he couldn't show ID. He goes "Are you serious? I didn't even touch it." and she said it's the law just because he was WITH me. Now, I know if he touches it, even if it's not for him, he really can't unless he shows ID. I know that law. But WITH me? What if I took my son grocery shopping and got some beer along with all my groceries? What the heck is the difference? Can anybody tell me the exact law about this?

There is no "exact law" about this. If they don't want to sell you the beer, they don't have to. The law is not going to force them.

The law is also not going to force you to keep going there if you are dissatisfied with their service.

There is no "exact law" about this. If they don't want to sell you the beer, they don't have to. The law is not going to force them.

The law is also not going to force you to keep going there if you are dissatisfied with their service.

So there IS no exact law? Dang. That's ridiculous. I know they have the right to deny purchase if they want, but I'd assume there'd be an actual drawn line to decide that upon, rather then just "it's up to the cashier whether or not they're going to sell beer rightfully to someone of proper age who has every right to make the legal purchase." It's when I'm denied the rights given to me like that which upset me.

As far as "actual law" goes, she told me it's against the law to sell alcohol to us since he was WITH me. I KNOW that that cannot be a law, especially since he's been with me other times and I've never had a problem before. I want to talk to the manager and ask what exactly is this "law." and find out. Because I know that's no law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back