Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication was 17 now 18 - MIC Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

denm0003

So was at a party a while back got a Minor In Consumption. Wasent really drunk but the cops came and i got PBT'd at like .05 . I know it dosent really help that i dont got to partys often but....

Any way i was wondering if since i was 17 at the time and im 18 now and my court case is coming if that helps, and if I should bring a lawyer, and what i should expect.\

I have never been to court before and dont really know what i should do. I know to dress nicely and be respectable. But what should i expect on repercussions, who im going to have to talk to, im going to have to bring my parents and all that. Dose anything happen to them....

I am just a little lost with all this and need some guidence. Also what do i tell the judge as what happened?

o and will the fact that im a police explorer help, explorers has given me probably over 600 hours of community service in the past few years. I

Thanks,
Jake

Recently found this site and really enjoy it and will definatly be a regular reader.

The crime occurred when you where seventeen. It would not make them lenient about the crime you committed. They would proceed like you underage drinking and get same penalty…….You always need a lawyer. If you can't get one, plead not guilty and ask for a court appointed one. Your first appearance is really easy. …You would present yourself to the court clerk, talk to them and they will let you know what next. Except on rear occasions, you get to talk to the judge. They will give you papers to file for a court appointed attorney who will represent you for most court appearances…………you will not need to show up unless requested. Your parents are not needed….. but can come for support if you need them. A decision on your case will not be made in your first appearance. It would need negations between your lawyer and DA on a plea…….. or trial, depending on the evidence against you. It would take an average of 2-3 months for your lawyer to reach a plea deal…..depends on how busy the court is it could be more. The person who must be there is your attorney once you get one. Differed judgment simply gives you a chance to say you were never convicted of the crime. You would complete probation…………and some other conditions like community service, class……and at the end of your probation the case against you would be dismissed. There will still be a record of it though. ……until it is expunged or sealed.

so i should probably just go there tell the court clerk i plea guilty because i dont think there is anyway i could fight this is there? So once i plea guilty they just tell me i have to pay a fine or do some community service. If its a first offense and i have no other legal problems what do you think i will get. Would it be smarter to act for a deference. And since i did it when i was a minor do you think it will get sealed from my record since im 18 now. or when dose it come off my record.

Sorry about all the questions but im having a hard time finding some of this stuff by myself.

Thank you so much for your support and help, its a great appreciation.

Even if you plan to plead guilty, you would need a lawyer to help navigate the system and get you the best possible deal……………So you would first plead not guilty, then be given or get a lawyer. There will be announcement settings for your lawyer to negotiate with the prosecutors………….You could do it alone but you don't know the law enough to make a decision which would not adversely affect your future. Get lawyer and don't try to do it on your own. Many people regret the future implications on how such small crimes can affect your whole future. Once you get a lawyer, he would explain you the whole process ………..in your state. Initial consultations are free for most lawyers. Just search online, or yellow pages and go see one………….Then you decide on what to do. Most courts will not accept your plea without a lawyer since you were charged as a minor. Try getting a lawyer before your date if you can afford one. He needs to go there with you.

Oh your last part question…It would not automatically come off your record………your lawyer would tell you how it can be sealed or expunged. Different states have different times to wait before a record can be sealed or expunged. In most cases it can be sealed after probation, and can be expunged if possible after 2 years. It happened when you were a minor; you should be able to get sealed. The process and law would be explained by your lawyer.

hey man thanks so much, i guess i gota go get a lawyer.

Big help tho i will let you know how it turns out. court on the 24th i think.

Thanks

ok so i went to court today and it was a glorious waste of time, apperently it was just an initial trial so all i did was go there and plea guilty, then they couldent give me a penalty yet becuase since i commited they act in a different county then i live in so now i have to got to a different county to just pay my fine. is there anyway i can just get this overwith and done, also how do i make sure this gets off my record because dosent they get sealed when im 18 just turned 18 commited act at 17. in juvinal court

ok just trying to keep updated so others can possibley use this as a reference. I went to my final court today the disposition hearing. Basically got there waited for a while then talked to the da then waited a while longer and went to the jusge they said since i was now 18 all i have to do 12 hrs of community service. Allthough had i still been 17 at the time of the hearing i would of also had to go through a probation, chemical class, and community service.

im now on probation unitll i finish the comm service.

I have a question thos ive heard of a thing about being able to pay like 5$ / hour for community service or something along those lines. i would really like to try and get this because i work 40hrs a week and am also a full time student along with other things. who would i talk to about this.

If anyone uses this as a ref plz feel free to email me.

Thanks mafiaso for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back