Warranty Not Covering Covered Parts

D

dtfischer

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I purchased a used car about 6 months ago, and opted for a 4 year, 60k mile warranty. About a month ago, the power steering failed while I was driving. I brought it to a service center, where they reprogrammed the power steering, which solved the problem for about 24 hours. Within 24 hours of picking up the car, the power steering failed again, and I took it to another service center, where they replaced the entire Power Steering Assembly, which was covered under warranty. Yet the problem happened a third time, this time 2 hours after I picked up. After bringing it back a third time, they determined that excessive friction caused by the control arm/ball joint assembly was causing the power steering to fail due to increased pressure. Both the ball joint assembly and the power steering are covered under warranty, but the company is maintaining that because the ball joints are not broken, they are not liable to replace them. While they are not "broken" they are causing a covered part to break repeatedly, so why is not something that is covered, and do I have a right to legal action to get this part fixed?

I purchased a used car about 6 months ago, and opted for a 4 year, 60k mile warranty. About a month ago, the power steering failed while I was driving. I brought it to a service center, where they reprogrammed the power steering, which solved the problem for about 24 hours. Within 24 hours of picking up the car, the power steering failed again, and I took it to another service center, where they replaced the entire Power Steering Assembly, which was covered under warranty. Yet the problem happened a third time, this time 2 hours after I picked up. After bringing it back a third time, they determined that excessive friction caused by the control arm/ball joint assembly was causing the power steering to fail due to increased pressure. Both the ball joint assembly and the power steering are covered under warranty, but the company is maintaining that because the ball joints are not broken, they are not liable to replace them. While they are not "broken" they are causing a covered part to break repeatedly, so why is not something that is covered, and do I have a right to legal action to get this part fixed?

Anyone is free to bring a lawsuit.
Bringing a lawsuit doesn't mean you'll prevail.

You can try suing if you want to go through the time & hassle. You might or might not win.

Back