Warrant for traffic tickets in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyfever

I recently found that I have an active warrant from 03/02/1998 and that my bail is $18,000.00 . A CHP told me that the other day, but let me go and said to have it taken care of.

My tickets are as follows: REGISTRATION REQUIRED
DRIVING WITH SUSPENDED LICENSE
EVID REGISTRATION WRONG VEHICLE
NO PORRF OF CAR INSURANCE

I never received anything from DMV. I actually moved out of state during that time (work), and did not return to CA until about a year later.

I remember paying some tickets to LA because when I returned I found that my license was suspended. My license has been valid since paying those tickets in 1999.

I do not know what to do now. I guess I have to make some sort of arrangements to turn myself in to a police station of some sort...?

Also, do I have any recourse whatsoever? The tickets were issued to me although the vehicle was not mine. (I was driving a friend's vehicle) I do realize that driving under a suspended license was certainly my fault.

Is there a statue of limitations on any of the above offenses? (It's been over 6 years)

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks much!

It sounds like something has gone to collections. There is no statute of limitations since when you do not show for court or pay the tickets then you are found guilty and the fines are placed on your record.

Something is funky since you have a valid drivers license. My suggestion wuld be to go to the DMV in person and see if they have anything. Normally your license would be suspended and the CHP would not have let you go. Once you know the exact facts then repost.

Thanks lwpat,

You actually just gave me some food for thought. When I came back to CA in '99, I did have tickets placed in a collection agency which I paid. Now, 6 years later, I get a bill from the same collection agency which states a balance of $9.00?

I clearly remember paying the balance in full, but maybe they tacked on an additional 9 bucks...?. Nevertheless, maybe they never reported the fines as "paid on full", which is why it is in warrant now.

Thanks for the reply...I'll report later with more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back