Wanting out of the lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzgim

Okay so I moved in with my friend in March and we signed a year lease. In late summer we let another person who we both agreed on move in without putting them on the lease. Then she asked if she could move her girlfriend in and we agreed it was ok. But after a while it turned into her and her girlfriend against me when it came to decisions about the apartment. We came into some finanical difficulties and I decided in my own best interest I needed to move out (4 months early). We've been arguing since. We both have to signa consent form for me to be released from the lease but I'm worried she won't sign. Can she do that? She has 2 other people not on the lease living with her so it's not like I'm leaving her by herself.

Well I don't know what your lease says, but mine has a statement explaining that only the people listed on the lease can live in the unit. If yours says something similar, suggest that one of her friends take your place on the lease.

-Nick

ndragon is right, see what your lease says about additional tenants. My lease states that I could be subject to eviction if guest stay over a month. So you could threaten that if she doesn't sign the consent form then you'll instigate an eviction per the lease.

You have two problems even though you may think it one. There other leasee does not have to agree to allow you to breach lease. Furthermore the only one who can alter lease is Landlord, with all leasees agreement. To make matters worse, as stated, the additional tenants may be a violation of lease also. You have a whole lot of issues to deal with. All of you could be facing eviction real soon:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back