Wal-Mart oil change gone bad

Michaelhall 76

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Went to Wal-Mart on 4/15/17 to get an oil change. Was shopping for over an hour and never heard them calling me letting me know it was done. Finished shopping and go back to the tire and lube center and see my truck still up on the lift with the hood up. After waiting another ten minutes, the assistant manager came out and informed me that there was an "incident" that occurred during the oil change. The straw tube used to remove oil through the dipstick actually broke off in the dipstick tube. They said they couldn't get it out and that the truck would need to be towed to a mechanic and the piece removed after taking off the oil pan.
They take me home to get my wife's vehicles so that we can get over 300.00 worth of groceries home. He stated that he'd call me once he found out what was going to be done. He never called me. Today is Easter, had plans to load up mulch and other landscaping supplies to do my mother's lawn today, I can't now because I don't have my truck. I'm told that Wal-Mart will not authorize a car rental for my loss, which doesn't matter because it's Easter and no one is open any way. I have to be at work tomorrow by 6:30 , my wife doesn't work until 9 and we both work out of town. How am I suppose to get to work, not to mention I work until 7-8 at night. I can't leave work to get a rental. They are paying for it to get repaired but I'm out of my vehicle for at least three days! What course of action can I take? The assistant manger offered to get me a rental out of his own pocket but that's not his responsibility, nor does he make enough to afford to do that! I also will be out of town today before the only place, which is over a half hour away, opens that has rentals. Thanks for any information you can give me.

First, read over the document you signed when you authorized repairs and see what it says that might limit your options.

Contact your insurance and see if they offer rental coverage. Some places will bring the car to you.

It seems you have plenty of time to figure out transportation to work. If all else fails ask someone for a ride or use public transportation if available. Call in to work if you have to and get some extra time if needed. The sooner you call and tell them what is going on the more they will be willing to work with you.

If you end up paying for a rental yourself you can try to get Wal-Mart to reimburse you later, but check that document you signed...

I've never heard of an oil change being done the way you describe. Seems like an unnecessary risk.

First, read over the document you signed when you authorized repairs and see what it says that might limit your options.

Contact your insurance and see if they offer rental coverage. Some places will bring the car to you.

It seems you have plenty of time to figure out transportation to work. If all else fails ask someone for a ride or use public transportation if available. Call in to work if you have to and get some extra time if needed. The sooner you call and tell them what is going on the more they will be willing to work with you.

If you end up paying for a rental yourself you can try to get Wal-Mart to reimburse you later, but check that document you signed...

I've never heard of an oil change being done the way you describe. Seems like an unnecessary risk.
I went for an oil change, plain and simple, ended up without my vehicle for at least three days, that's their fault not mine in any way, they should compensate me for not having my vehicle, had to change my plans for Easter as well. If they do nothing, I'll take them to court, besides that, I'll never go there for anything again! Don't understand how I had enough time to find transportation since it happened yesterday after four, said they'd get back to me but didn't and today is Easter, who the hell would be open for rentals on Easter?

Do you have a copy of the work order you signed when you went in for service?
You need to read it. It will contain details that will help guide you through this.
Did you contact your insurance?

Make it easy on yourself.
Walmart might eventually reimburse you, but not until the matter has been thoroughly investigated.

So, you rent a car, keep your receipts for the car rental and gasoline.

When Walmart contacts you, you'll be able to request reimbursement.

Court action is never swift and immediate, even when you're 1,000,000% in the right.

Do you have a copy of the work order you signed when you went in for service?
You need to read it. It will contain details that will help guide you through this.
Did you contact your insurance?
It's impossible to read that touch screen, they haven't given me anything work order or claim number...nothing. Didn't contact insurance because they are paying for it, the dipstick has to be replaced so it's being ordered. I won't have my truck until Wednesday, because of their mistake!

Yes, we all get that you are being inconvenienced because of WalMart's mistake. You have made that perfectly clear.

The fact remains that until the situation is fully resolved, the car has been repaired, any rental cars paid for, etc., it is useless to attempt any legal action because the actual damages are not finalized. Once we know exactly how much money you are out, you can file a claim in small claims court for it. Don't even imagine that you're going to get anything much, if anything at all, for the inconvenience. You'll get back what you are out in dollars, period. But you have to be able to quantify the damages first.

Back