wages garnished on judgement i have no previous knowledge of

Status
Not open for further replies.

kn2130

Sorry for double post. i placed this is wrong area previously and don't know how to erase other entry.

My boyfriend has a past due item on his credit report that is due to expire in January. The amount due listed on his report is around $1600. Separately, yesterday he received a letter from the marshall stating that they will garnish his wages if he doesn't contact them within the next 20 days regarding a judgment from 12/05 in the amount of $4500. He had no prior knowledge of this judgment decision or that he was even sued, so is obviously surprised. He's also not sure if the judgement item is connected to the item on his credit report because the judgement list another creditor (perhaps someone that bought off the debt from the credit card company?)

What are his rights in NEW YORK STATE? Does he have the right to appeal or try to vacate the motion being that he received no notification of the lawsuit or the judgement and received, therefore, no due process? Can he prevent wages from being garnished?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back