WA: RCW.46.61.400 - speed too fast for conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fast4weather

I would like to contest a citation I received for "speed too fast for conditions." I entered a freeway during icy conditions where the snow was still falling. The plows were just out, and I changed lanes from the far right, to the center where it looked plowed. The other reason I changed lanes: a plow was in the far right lane ahead of me.

As I got close to the plow (me in the center, he in the right lane) I hit a patch of black ice, spun around and hit a guard rail. In a 60mph, I was getting up to speed (38-40mph) I could not have been going faster than 45MPH. I had just entered the freeway, I was worried about the conditions, and I had my fiance in the passenger seat who would have complained if I had not been driving cautiously.

Once I called the State Patrol, reported the accident and they came out to "help," i received a citation. MY QUESTION: has anyone successfully contested a similar citation? The state must prove I committed the infraction but have I already lost? I mean, is there anything I can say to convice a judge that just because the officer wrote the ticket doesn't mean speed caused the accident?

If I've already lost I'd rather seek mitigation and pay a reduced fee. Thank you for any help or advice you might offer.

Further details:

no other car was involved, no one was hurt, my car was drivable but simply needed more air in the tires. The officer explained this was a "blanket" citation and I could contest it, Whatever that means. :confused:

The fact that you had an accident is enough proof that you were driving too fast for conditions. In Washington State the officer does not have to appear so mitigation or a deferment are probably your best options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back