Virginia State Income Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

treenah

If state income taxes are past due from the 1990's (13 years ago). Is there a Statute of Limitation to collect on State income taxes in Virginia? If there is no SOL on VA State Income Taxes, would an Offer In Compromise be the best step if there is an extreme hardship?

Thanks

Va State Taxes

While there is a Statute of Limitations, the answer to your questions depends on what actions they have been taking (or not taking) during these 13 years.

Eric Stamper 804.421.5974

My neighbor and I were talking of this the other day, as a friend of his was just contacted for the first time after 16 years. The Official VA tax sight says that you only need to retain tax documents for either 3 or 10 (IRS) years. Yet, VA is attacking folks from 10 to 20 years after the fact, strapping on enormous fines and demanding payment. They (VA) also claimes that if they send a letter to their last known address of you, than that suffices as contact (thus leaving the postal service as their scapegoat). It seems strange that they (VA) can get away with this after they essentually removed any avenue of defense that a taxpayer may have after 10 years (especially when they had no indication that there was any problems). If VA can send a letter and claim it as contact, why shouldn't the same be justification for sending ones taxes in? In this age and time, an individual can be located within moments. I wonder if this practice (or law) is even near being legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back