Virginia Rental Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mybusiness

My ex and I used to live together and both of our names were on the lease. I have since moved into my own apartment. I want to break the lease and am willing to pay the fees. Is it possible for me to break the lease without his consent provided I give him 30 days notice.

Notice has nothing to do with it. Your lease is a contract. The fees you mention you have no clue what they are! If you leave before lease expires legally you owe rent for duration of lease or until place is rerented. Keep in mind if Landlord has more than one empty place he does not have to rent yours first

I have already talked to the property manager and have been told what fees are involved in breaking the lease, and the total amount I would have to pay to break the lease. I have no problem doing that, I just need to know I can break the lease without my ex's consent.

I want to make sure I understand. Your leaving and breaking leas wwith Landlord ok? This leaves yuor Ex on the hook for full rent correct? If so I would think yur Ex could sue you for unpaid rent until new roomate is found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back