violation of hipaa privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

liberty123

This past week I received a statement in the mail from our Primary Care, the amount due is $118.00. The date of service is March 28, 2011. I knew that I had done it reaching over my back seat and grabbing my briefcase and lifting it into the front seat. Our PCP said I could have a cortisone shot, or give physical therapy a shot. I chose the physical therapy which did the trick. So this bill arrives. I called them on 7/5/11 at 12:10pm, they stated that Blue Cross Blue Shield had denied the claim due to the injury being related to a car accident in September of 2009. At 12:30 on 7/5/11 I get ahold of them and was told that they denied the claim as it appeared to be related to a car accident I was in on 9/23/2009. My jaw literally dropped, I asked her how they even knew I had been in a car accident, she stated the information was provided by the hospital system. The day of the accident an SUV ran a stop sign, and I t-boned them. There were a lot of witnesses, and Jax Beach fire rescue and police were there in just a couple of minutes. They were awesome, they secured my case files, laptop, camera, and called my husband. Fire Rescue offered to transport me, but my husband arrived, and he took me to the hospital. We had already been on the phone with our insurance company , and we did provide the claim number to the nice lady in the ED with the laptop on a cart. The police also came to the hospital with me. The injury sustained in the accident was to my left forearm-huge hematoma from the air bag, it was x-rayed, no fracture, and I was released, with prescriptions and directions to follow up with my doctor, who would not see me due to the accident. I have all of my documents, receipts, and correspondence between myself, our insurance company, and State Farm(the other insurance company). My car was totalled. I have requested all of the documents that Blue Cross Blue Shield has, and information as to how they obtained my records from the hospital. I did not give consent for any of this information to be released to anyone for any reason-aside from my vehicle insurance company and State Farm. So who violated HIPAA?? I requested an investigation as to what happened, and how will I ever feel comfortable walking in to see my doctor, or use the hospital where I have been a patient for the past 19 years. Are there grounds to sue for violation of privacy due to not consenting to the release of information to Blue Cross Blue Shield?

You sign a release, allowing the release of all medical records to process claims as needed. You are lucky they stopped with a denial. You should be getting 3 hots n a cot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back