Violated Traffic Sign Past Curfew, 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizlemons

Hi all.

I'm 17 and am under the provisional license restrictions until early July (No driving passengers under 18 and no driving from 11 PM- 5 AM w/o a legal guardian over 25.) I got pulled over for failure to obey sign (No Turn on Red) - CVC 22101 (d) at around 2:00 A.M. I know since I'm a juvenile I have to go to court with my mom. How much will the ticket cost and what other penalties will I be subjected to? Will I have my license suspended? And will I be fined for driving past curfew? (That violation wasn't on the citation the police officer gave me, so I'm not sure if they're going to slap that on me in traffic court.)

Background story: Tonight was prom night (yay I guess) and I decided to go to a friend's house afterwards. I lost track of time since we were watching a movie and having a snack, and by the time I left it was about 1:45. I wanted to get home as soon as possible since it was past curfew. I got to an intersection I frequent (at least three times a week) and was going to make the right turn. There's a planter from the sidewalk that extends into the intersecting street and obstructs the driver's view (which is why there is a No Turn on Red sign.) The sign completely skipped my mind, and I slowly pulled forward to make sure the intersection was clear. After not seeing anything for like 10 seconds, I go ahead and make the turn, but oops. Here comes the police car in the same lane I was turning into. And well, that's why I'm here tonight.

Sorry for the somewhat long post, I'm just really worried right now about my upcoming financial situation (esp. since senior year is right around the corner.) When I do go to court, I do not wish to contest the violation and am taking full responsibility for my poor actions without any protest, if that helps.

Thanks a bunch!

If your guilt is adjudicated on the underlying charge, you'll be ordered to pay a fine.
You can go to the court's website and see a chart listing fines for most offenses.
Let's say its $600. You can be put on a payment plan. You might be able to pay $50.00 on the day of sentencing, and $100 a month. That's just an example.

Check the website of the court, and it'll offer you a bunch of tips for addressing your case.

You'll eventually receive correspondence after you've been convicted, assuming you are convicted. That correspondence will discuss how and when you'll lose your driving privileges. You can also go to the DMV website and they'll describe how it works in the case of juvies. You're innocent until they prove your guilt. So, speaking with a lawyer could be helpful.

I agree re speaking to an attorney, preferably a traffic law attorney though any attorney can probably help you. He/she can generally give you an idea of what you will be facing plus an attorney can many times help in getting the charges/penalties reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back