VIN on title does not match antique vehicle

Cwheubel

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I have recently purchased what was advertised as a 1950 3100 series chevy. However there is no VIN on the vehicle. The VIN on the title does not match any vehicle made by Chevy from 1947-1955. I long distance purchased this from Missouri. I live in NorthCarolina. My state will not title the vehicle. The title we have is from Eest Virginia. Do I have any recourse? At this point I just want my money back and for the dealer to take the vehicle back.

That they had never heard of a state titling a vehicle with an incorrect VIN. The sales person says he is contacting West Virginia DMV to see if they can resolve it with them. In the mean time, I've been researching the supposed VIN, and it's not attached to any vehicle, anywhere. I have repeatedly told the salesperson I just want him to take the vehicle and give the money back. Right now, I think he's in research mode.

It is rare but the people at the DMV do make typos once in a while. If the dealer is looking into the matter then you should give them a little time to research and correct the matter if they can.

You're not the only one with this problem. Here's a couple of old threads from the internet. Might be an idea or two in them:

1950's chevy truck vin location?

INCORRECT VIN 1950 Chevrolet 3100 (LA plant code) | General Truck Talk | The Stovebolt Forums

More search results:

1950 chevrolet 3100 vin location at DuckDuckGo

Don't delude yourself into thinking that you will ever get a refund from the dealer. "Research mode" = "delay" = the deadliest form of denial.

You are going to have to resolve this on your own and I suggest you do so before you put any more money into the vehicle.

Don't take the risk of purchasing ANYTHING, from ANYONE, from another state unless and until you've done your due diligence about the other person or entity.

Even then, you're taking a substantial risk financially.

Your purchase of the antique Chevrolet, Cwhuebel leaves you without the remedy of suing the entity easily, had you bought the vehicle in your own county or state.

You also rely upon the seller to assist you in vetting your purchase.
Sellers are interested more in dumping something on you for CASH, than helping you vet the purchase and/or product/item.

Now you stand alone, to defend and protect your finances.
Had you visited the state, that would have assisted you in identifying the potential error or fraud.

I've thought for years that someone could found a business to assist purchasers such as your self, providing a very special service to purchasers nationwide.

Anyway, my wish for you is that you reach a resolution soon.

The VIN number you need is likely the engine number. Hopefully the engine is original and clean- try to find a a tag or stamped number on the engine block.
VIN numbers as we know them today were not in use until several years later.

Update, the vehicle vin isn't valid, at all. Despite being on the title, bill of sale,, any and all paperwork. My state has said they want an indemnity bond and will title this vehicle as "custom", and not a 1950 chevy. Lesson learned, painfully. Still in contact with the dealership, who has been reaching out to the inspector at our local DMV. Not sure how this is going to resolve, but reasonably sure not in my favor.

More information! This a kit car! It was advertised as a 1950 3100 series Chevy. It is not what was advertised. Also, I bought this from a classic car dealership that specializes in antique and vintage vehicles. So, at the very least, its misrepresentation and gross incompetence (my interpretation). Still waiting....this may go on for a while!

My state has said they want an indemnity bond and will title this vehicle as "custom", and not a 1950 chevy.

Here's the Missouri statute on title bonds.

2015 Missouri Revised Statutes :: TITLE XIX MOTOR VEHICLES, WATERCRAFT AND AVIATION (300-307) :: Chapter 301 Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicles :: Section 301.192 Bonded vehicles, certificate of ownership may be issued, requirements--bond, release of, when.

Not sure how this is going to resolve, but reasonably sure not in my favor.

If you are thinking that the dealer will take the truck back and give you a refund, forget it.

You might as well accept the fact that you'll need the bond.

So, at the very least, its misrepresentation and gross incompetence (my interpretation).

So? How many thousands are you willing to spend on a lawyer in another state to file a lawsuit in another state and travel to another state for a trial and if you win spend years trying to collect?

Now that's a different situation. May be time to get a lawyer.

Cheaper to post a bond and get a title. :D

Back