videoing sherriffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1476

My girlfriend was at my house while the sherriffs were there waiting on a search warrant to search my room. They were there for about 5 hours waiting for search warrant from another officer. She attempted to video the sheriffs deputy who was standing in the kitchen during this 5 hour wait with her smartphone. I was on the phone with her while she was in the kitchen with him, I ask her to ask him a question and video him giving the answer about the general statute law that gave him the right to hold her(my girlfriend) and my Aunt in the house. The sheriffs then told her to tell me if she videoed him he would take her phone. My understanding of the North Carolina law is that anyone can video a Goverment official when they are on duty as long as it dont interfere or endanger them or anyone else. Also, as long as the Goverment official knows they are being videoed. Was her civil rights violated?

It is not a civil rights question.
She could have recorded if she wanted, and he could have taken the phone. He would not necessarily be right to do so, but that was not the time or place to sort that out.
She would have gotten her phone back.
Your friend was lawfully detained. This is a common scenario. The easiest way to avoid the delay is to give permission to search.... but your friend apparently opted not to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back