video law

Status
Not open for further replies.

trophyhunyer1

I did some videos in illinois of deer and got a man to edit it for me .
now he tell me that the video is his and i need to remove it from you tub and from my web site.
what i want to know is the video his or mine.
can anyone tell me what the law is on that ?

THANKS TROPHYHUNTER1

I think you have posted this in the wrong place.

Anyway- I'm guessing that you didn't enter into any kind of contract with the guy other than that he would edit the video and give you a finished product. It is your video. Do what you want with it.

What is the dispute about? This one is not so simple. The raw video is yours. If the editor created something a little different, e.g. added effects, coloring, etc. then a "derivative work" may have been created - it's a variation of your video with his extra enhancements. Was he supposed to get paid? The "right" answer here is murky and mightymoose is probably correct that the video is yours to do with what you want - but the editor may have a copyright claim and may write to YouTube to have it taken down. They may end up taking it down if he does that, I don't know. Perhaps you can tell us a little bit more about the dispute.

Yes he did the edit work on the video for me and i gave him a week deer hunt with lodging in illinois for the work he did.
The cost of the hunt was $2250.00 so he got paid very good for the work he did.

thanks

Yes he did the edit work on the video for me and i gave him a week deer hunt with lodging in illinois for the work he did.
The cost of the hunt was $2250.00 so he got paid very good for the work he did.
Ridiculous... so what is it he thinks he is owed? Why? You might want to tell him that his claim is ridiculous and that he'd better not cause any additional problems. You were kind enough to pay him well for his work. Perhaps that might be enough to discourage this person from having any useless ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back