Very Bad Neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

banjogirl

We rented a home next to our property to a couple for 3 yrs. and decided to sell the property. We told the tennant and offered them the first option to buy.
They jumped on it.

They insisted we have the lot surveyed and we did so and stakes were set at the four corners.

At the signing of the deal, the man (George) got very angry because we charged them rent for the first 7 days of the month before they moved in. That was settled and we moved on.

The next morning George went out and started digging up the flowers that were on our side of the property line. They had set out the flowers when they were renting but after the survey the flowers were on our side. This would not have been a problem under normal circumstances but after he throwed such a fit at the signing and made such a show of him self and tried to cheat us on repaired we paid for, I didn't feel like being generous anymore.

I went out and told him to stop digging on our side of the line. He said the fence was still up and he was taking what was his. I started taking down the barb wire fence and post. He went into the house and called the Sheriff. The Sheriff came out and he told the sheriff that I had tried to hit him with a fence post. I was still out there working on taking down the fence between the two properties. The sheriff came over and asked me what was going on.
I told him and showed him the new survey line and he said it was my fence and I could take it down or leave it up, was my decision.

I was 70 years old at the time and a woman. I asked the sheriff if he really thought I swung a post at a man over 6 ft tall and 20 years younger than me. He said no he didn't believe it. George filled out a complaint and I had to fill out a report on what happened.

The next day George and a man he got to help him went out and dug up all the flowers on our side and left big holes in our yard. I took pictures of them standing on our side digging there was a bright yellow string streached from corner to corner.

He called the sheriff out on us 3 or 4 times for all different reasons, like, our cows ate under the fence on his side of the line, we shot turtles in our fish stocked pond and shot towards his house, our cows and calves bawled and kept him from getting any sleep, our cows reached thru the fence and ate his sunflowers, which he had went out and cut it off and laid it thru the fence, but our cows won't even eat sunflowers and they would have pushed our barb fence down to have gotten to his garden and it wasn't even leaning.

He put up no trespassing signs only on the side of his property facing our yard and our coral, dated and signed by him and his live-in.

Last year he put up a woven wire fence and set it in on his property 6 inches
which was fine with us, but we started mowing our grass and mowed up to his fence and he called the sheriff and when the sheriff came out he showed him that we had tresspassed on his 6 inches and he wanted to sue us, said we had cut down one of his flowers, which we had. It was an Iris about 4 inches tall.

My question is...... Does he have the right to control the 6 inches on our side of his fence where he set the fence in on his property by 6 inches? We just wanted to keep the weeds cut down and keep it looking neat. Now there is weeds 3 feet high between the property line and his fence, on the 6 inches.

I was told by the surveyor that after a fence was up for ten years the property line was set by the fence and not the corner stakes. Which would mean that the 6 inches would become our property.

I know this sounds stupid and it is but, George curses us, and calls me a crazy female dog everytime I come out in the yard or near his fence. He
has threatened to kill our cows and one day we were out in our garden and killed a ground hog that was digging up my garden. He came out of his house and started shoot his rifle. I don't know if he was a bad shot or if he was shooting over us. He said he was going to choke the living life out of us.

He has cursed us many times since but it is his word against ours. But you can't believe how it effects you when you know someone is going to curse you everytime you go outside.

I have quit going out to my garden or in the yard to see about my trees or veggies unless I have to.

He tried to call my husband who is 75 out in the road to settle once and for all, was his words. George is 48 yrs. old.

Please, isn't there something we can do?

This is our retirement home after working all our life. We have never had trouble with our neighbors our whole married life till now.

We have tired to ignore him, tried to oblige him and nothing seem to stop his abuse of us.

Thank you in advance,
banjogirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back