Verbal contract question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom12

Hi. Perhaps a stupid question but searching the site turned up nothing for me. Anyway if I have a contract with someone, but one specific part was discussed orally and not placed in the actual contract during signing, does it become invalid by the signed contract and be considered a their word my word type of thing or could it still be upheld? Thanks.

Q: Anyway if I have a contract with someone, but one specific part was discussed orally and not placed in the actual contract during signing, does it become invalid by the signed contract and be considered a their word my word type of thing or could it still be upheld?

A: And how would you prove the terms of the oral contract? And what did the written contract say about it being the whole contract?

Q: Anyway if I have a contract with someone, but one specific part was discussed orally and not placed in the actual contract during signing, does it become invalid by the signed contract and be considered a their word my word type of thing or could it still be upheld?

A: And how would you prove the terms of the oral contract? And what did the written contract say about it being the whole contract?

I'm sorry, I should have honestly been more clear on this. The written contract as no mention of the oral part, it was just something promised after the contract was signed. I know, it should have been put in, but I just didn't think. Either way, if you read the contract it appears to be complete.

There is no way to prove the oral contract though. Perhaps if I could get the person to mention the oral parts of the contract, maybe re-agree to it in email, would it be considered legal? I'm just not sure how well an email would stand up if the contract ever came into question. Thanks!

You may always renegotiate a contract.

Google parol evidence rule and statute of frauds for more info on how and why of verbal contracts.

It depends on when you made the oral agreement and the wording of the contract. Usually oral agreements prior to the contract are not binding. A contract can always be modified afterwards by a variety of methods but the problem is proving the modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back