Consumer Law, Warranties Verbal business agreements gone bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

2trusting

Nearly two years ago, my partner and I paid $10,000.00 to trusted friends for a 20% share in their new business, which they later registered as an LLC. We made them sign a receipt for money clarifying our ownership which stated that they would provide us with a "deed of ownership," but that never happened and no other written agreements were ever signed regarding the details of the partnership.

Less than a year later, they called a meeting with us and said that things weren't going well with their new business, and that they were going to eventually dissolve it in another year or two, but in the meantime were going to move it under the umbrella of their parent company (a corporation). They said they felt bad and were concerned for our original investment and were going to repay it over time (no time frame stated). At this point we all verbally agreed that we were no longer owners in their company and they would pay us back our money.

Since then, we have had several disagreements and they keep threatening to NOT repay our money at all stating that they don't HAVE to repay anything, that it was just a business investment that went bad and their company is in the red. They said they were doing us a favor by "offering" to repay our investment but that they didn't have to pay us a penny.

Can they simply take away our ownership, say it's over and NOT repay any of our initial investment while still operating their company? Do we have ANY recourse here? Please help.

Unfortunately if the business goes south, they may have no responsibility to pay you anything. It happens all the time. But what I would do is finally understand what is going on. There is no question that you own 20% of something. What happened to the money? Why did it go south? What does moving it under the "umbrella" of the parent company mean? Is the parent buying out the investors of the LLC? What is the true value of the LLC?

Your recourse is in doing your homework and not taking these representations at face value. Best of luck to you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back