verbal agreement to pay loan under someone else's name

Status
Not open for further replies.

taeylorterror

i took a loan out on a 2006 chrysler sebring in may of 2008 from a dealership for my friend. our verbal agreement was that even though the car and loan are under my name, she is responsible for the payments. she missed the last two payments of august and september each of 277.11 and the collection agency is coming for the car. i have tried contacting my friend since the collection agency has been calling my phone, and i have records of me calling and text messaging her about the car. she hasn't made any effort to contact me back until yesterday, the last of the month, when the payment was due by three o'clock or the car was getting repossessed. she has since not contacted me to let me know that the payment of 277.11 was made, and the collection agency contacted me today to let me know that the payment was not made last night. even though the car is completely my responsibility on paper, we had a verbal agreement that several people know about. if i cannot contact her, then the car will be repossessed but i don't know where to find her if they decide to.
what legal options do i have at this point and if it comes down to it, can i fight the binding of this verbal agreement in a new hampshire court?

any advice would be helpful.

A small point: if the car gets repossessed, it will not be because you couldn't contact her, but because neither of you made a payment on it. You could always make the payment yourself and sort it out with her later.

I presume you took out the loan so she could have the benefit of the car. It seems she no longer wants the benefit. Do you want a court to order her to continue paying for the car? That's probably unlikely to happen, and certainly not before its too late. More likely, she breaches the agreement, the car gets repossessed. You then sue for breach of contract. An oral agreement is binding, it is just more difficult to prove. But that should not be a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back