Verbal agreement on buying a used truck through a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxbecky

Was in a desperate way for means of transporatation. Friend said he had a truck he would sell me for $1800.00. Told him I had $400.00 for a down payment and then could do monthly payments of $200.00 He didn't like that deal, so he said $250.00. Agreed. I asked him how many miles. He told me 210,000. and the yr. was a 96'. and that he never had any problems with it. He brings the truck, not even ready for sell. All junked out. Turns out it has 232,150 miles on it. It was a 95 instead of 96. He lied about everything. Told me had receipts of all the stuff he bought for it. Never has showed me one. But I had NO choice to not buy this runned down truck. There was No bill of sale just a verbal agreement. I've had the truck for 3 months and nothing but trouble and he tells me I did it! My payment was due on just the 24th. I had called him and left messages cause he wasnt answering 2 and 3 days before the due date to tell him I wasn't gonna have the payment cause come to find out, I have to get the whole Radiator replaced along with hoses and plus the check ingine lite is on and is due for an inspection. So, that will not pass. But, He tells me it was my fault. I told him I could have his money in 2 weeks but NO...He comes and gets it today, the 25th!!!
I called the cops, they said it was a civil matter cause the title was still in his name but I couldn't even get the cops out here to file a report. I am soooo mad. Can someone PLEASE help??? Coming and getting the truck a day late? with all my personal belongings in it to? What do I do? Please help. Thanks

You buy a truck in a private sale at your peril. It is an "as-is" sale. You have no recourse there.

But, you can ask him to give you back your stuff. Even there you could still lose. If he refuses, it's your word against his. That dude was never a friend. He's a shyster and a crook. Stay away from that bum.

As far as a repo by the seller, again, without a proper bill of sale; you have no proof of ownership. Even if you did, he could still repo the truck.

This person is no friend, either. He s treed you by selling you a 16 year old bucket of rusted bolts.

Forget the truck. Consider your investments the cost of a good lesson. Yeah, you want it, but he took his truck back. Without any written documentation to substantiate your claims, you're stuck. But getting rid of that useless piece of junk did you a big favor. Besides, you knew what you were doing. You were just desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back