verbal agreement loan trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

snappy

2 years ago I lent a good friend $1,500 - I gave him the money in cash and he paid his loan in cash via Western Union.
I have not seen a dime of the money he agreed to pay me.
My boyfriend was there at the time and is aware of the agreement - he was there when I gave him the money. Other people know about it, but he's the only one that was actually a witness.
The only proof I have is my bank statement showing the money coming out of my savings account and my boyfriend's statement as a witness.
He has not returned any of my emails or cell phone calls in a year and a half (and only a few about the loan before that) and until running into him recently, I hadn't heard from him in a year and a half. I do want to say that I have not mailed him a demand for money in the mail, - all of my demands have been made by phone, text, or email. I'm not entirely sure where he is living.

My question is - my stupidity at lending him the money that way aside - what recourse do I have in small claims court?
Would my witness and my bank statement be enough to get me my money back - I'm worried that since it was in cash and I have nothing in writing in the past year and a half that I'm out of luck.
I do see his mother every now and again - would I be violating some law if I talked to her about the loan and where he is?
What's the statute of limitations on something like this?

thanks!

No one knows if you will win.

Sue in small claims court and tell the judge your story and hope for the best.

The SOL depends on your state. Even if you win in small claims all you will get is a judgment you will then have to try and collect. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

A Good friend would have paid back the money! Obviously, this person turned out to be a bad person. I would pursue the money and file a suit in small claims. The Judge will listen to both sides, and look at whatever documentation you present. You have an excellent chance if you have copies of any Checks, MO's etc... Plus the longer this person holds out and ignores your request for repayment, the judge may come down hard on this person. Judges like it when it can be demonstrated that the plaintiff made an honest effort to try and settle the issue outside of the courts. It saves tax payers money also. Let the former friend tell the judge whatever he/she wishes... The fact remains you did lend money and you can hopefully prove it. I feel this person has already lost credibility, just the fact they made no attempt to repay you in any way shape or form. As far as attempting to question his mother about him or his wearabouts?? I feel it would not be a wise choice. It is only natural that a family member will protect their own. I doubt she will tell you anything about him, which is understandable. There is no harm in asking, but I don't think you will get very far and it will solve nothing. Good Luck! keep an positive outlook!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back