Verbal agreement for money borrowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

erin52905

I lent a guy I was dating $2500 to pay on his truck. I have the receipt from Western Union showing I paid for his truck as well as my bank statement showing the withdrawal of the money I used to pay it. We made a verbal agreement that he would pay me back. We eventually split up and 9 months later he's only paid me back $400. A few weeks ago he did not have money for me and he suggested if I could just hold off for 2 weeks until he got paid again, he would start giving me $200 towards his balance every 2 weeks when he got paid. I got the first installment of $200 on 5/5 and now he says he can't give me $200 this week. He said that he said he would only pay me what he could and not $200 every 2 weeks. I also have copies of the 2 checks he wrote to me for payment where he has written the previous balance minus the payment ='s the new balance.

Do I have a chance to get the rest of my money back plus expenses if I sue him in small claims court? My concern is that it was only a verbal contract, however I have all the documentation showing what he owes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sure you can sue him. It is worth a try. It seems to me this is a loan since he did make a couple payments. Filing in small claims is cheap and often can be done online.

I am not sure what expenses you are out by loaning him money but you can't collect interest unless there was an agreement in place allowing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back