Verbal agreement broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorstacy

At the end of April we had a verbal agreement to rent a home in Massachusetts for a year. We agreed to start renting June 15 2007. I was faxed an application for the realtor May 1 and then a copy of the lease about May 10th. The landlord did have this house for sale prior to our rental agreement. We had mailed in the deposits and first months rent to the realtor, as well as our signed lease copy. He had the contract and checks in his hand. Now 10 days before we are supposed to move in... this landlord has his realtor call ours and tell us that he has sold the house and will not honor the lease. He never signed his copy of the lease or cash our checks. We had gotten out of our current lease a month early to move into the new home in June. Our current landlord has now sold this home and is closing on July 2nd. We are homeless now as of June 30th. Everything for this move has been done:registering our children for school, moving company reserved and coming in 10 days, getting out of our lease early...etc...everything that goes with a move. My oldest daughter is scheduled to attend school on June 18th in this new town. Is this guy able to do that to someone he's had a verbal agreement with...we have both done this through our own realtors? We also decline other rentals in this particular town because we had an agreement with this man. Now those rentals have been taken. The military will only pay for a few days of a hotel while changing duty stations. Can I fight this guy for breach of contract or anything to get him to help us pay for the unforseen expenses of our movers rescheduling, hotel stay, etc because he broke our contract.

Thank You.

Q: Can I fight this guy for breach of contract or anything to get him to help us pay for the unforseen expenses of our movers rescheduling, hotel stay, etc because he broke our contract.

A: No; you have suffered no damages. He didn't keep your money and, besides, you had no written contract with him.

Q: Can I fight this guy for breach of contract or anything to get him to help us pay for the unforseen expenses of our movers rescheduling, hotel stay, etc because he broke our contract.

A: No; you have suffered no damages. He didn't keep your money and, besides, you had no written contract with him.

So no damages Like having to shell money out for a hotel now that we have no house to live in, having to now pay for storage of our furniture because we have no house to move into... and my husband now has to take days off from work to go find a house (again)...none of those type of things are ecocomical damages? We feel this may have been discrimination against us being in the military because he didn't put a military claus in the lease papers after we asked. He was also playing the potential buyer against us to see what would pan out first.

So no damages Like having to shell money out for a hotel now that we have no house to live in, having to now pay for storage of our furniture because we have no house to move into... and my husband now has to take days off from work to go find a house (again)...none of those type of things are ecocomical damages?

Correct. The bad people did not cause those damages.

We feel this may have been discrimination against us being in the military because he didn't put a military claus in the lease papers after we asked. He was also playing the potential buyer against us to see what would pan out first.

I thought you said you had a verbal agreement.

We feel this may have been discrimination against us being in the military because he didn't put a military claus in the lease papers after we asked. He was also playing the potential buyer against us to see what would pan out first.

I thought you said you had a verbal agreement.

We had a verbal agreement and the lease was written down on paper, sent to us, we signed it and sent it back to the landlord with deposit and rent. Alittle over a week later, the landlord sends the check back to our realtor and says sorry, he will not honor the lease. I have a copy of this lease dated and signed by us...with all the trail from our realtor in emails about the rent and agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back