Verbal agreement and breach of trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

idrisjm

On August 13,2006, I asked my friend to manage my two properties in baltimore City county. In one of the properties, I have a tenant. And the other vacant.

We had verbal agreement that he will manage the properties and I will pay him 10% of the rent from the tenants monthly.
As a matter of fact, he collected the August 2006 rent from the tenant in the first property and told me that he will use the money to advertise the other vacant property in the newspaper.

Two week later, he called me and said, he has a friend that will get 3 tenants in the vacant house for a monthly rent of $400.each (total $1,200), and said I will be paid $750 and he and his friend will take care of the maintainance & utilities. I agreed.

He never told me he signed any agreement with the friend.

On April 20, 2007, I inspected the property with three tenants only to discover that additional two rooms (making 5 tenants in the property) were constructed without my verbal or written consent as the landlord. I told him that was a breach of trust and that he should hand over all the lease agreement signed by the tenants and their security deposits. I requested to manage the properties myself. He refused to handover the requested documentation claiming he already signed a 3 year agreement with his friend.

Do have chance in the court of law?

Your expert opinion will be appreciated.

Thank you

This is not legal Advice!

Hey,

Well, for one his agreement was only verbal with you, so he has as much right as you! The fact this is your property and you want it back should not be a problem due to the fact he has no written agreement with the you the owner.

The part where he has signed a three year contract with the tennent is neither your problem, due to the fact there is no original agreement with you and him and just because he has written an agreement with the tennent brings us down to the tennent is his problem to re-house.

bit of a mouthfull but quite simple realy, send him notice to vacate the premises asap and let him worrie about his own contract to forfill. Failing that come to an agreement and this time get it in writing.

Good Luck

Mark.

This is a double post and was also answered in the Landlord Tenent section of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back