Verbal Agreememt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgerunner

Hi,

A few months ago, I purchased (paid cash) two Horses from an individual and at the time of that purchase, made a verbal agreement to purchase his Horse Trailer for $2500.00 over the next several months and gave him 500.00 (cash) as a down payment. Since that time my financial situation has changed and I'm not in a position to purchase the trailer. I never took possession of the Trailer and only paid the initial 500.00 down payment.

I called the seller and explained the situation and he said he understood and wood refund my 500.00 dollars.

When I call him a couple of days later to arrange a time that i could meet him to pick up the 500.00, he said that I had caught him off guard and that he now feels no obligation to return the 500.00. I once again explained my situation to him but he said that he would not return my 500.00.

This entire deal (mistake on my part) was done on a verbal agreement for both the sale of the horses and the trailer. We never agreed to anything that would require forfeit of the down payment in the event one of us changed our minds.

MY QUESTION IS: Do I have a case that I can pursue in Small Claims Court to recover my 500.00 or did I just screw up on this deal and have to eat the 500 dollars?

Thanks

Your best bet might be to guilt the guy in to it. You probably won't get far in court. Your deposit showed your intent to purchase and kept him from selling the trailer to anyone else. However, if you do sue then he will probably have to present a scenario which explains how he is damaged... meaning that he had other interested buyers that he could not sell to because of your deposit and agreement.
My next step would be the big puppy dog eyes... maybe bring some poorl dressed kids along in a beat up car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back