Vehicle towed

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlab

My son is a student in Laramie, WY. He lives in a dorm there. A friend of his is leasing a townhouse with 2 others. My son had 9 days off from school for Christmas Break and came home to Colorado for the Holiday. He has a 1975 Chevy Blazer that he has spent $8000 and 2 years restoring. He had a chance to ride home with a friend and left his Blazer in Laramie. He did not feel it would be secure in the dorm parking lot, so his friend with the townhouse gave him permission to park in his space at the townhouse; he was also leaving for Christmas break. The friend told one of his roommates that my son would be leaving his vehicle there, the roommate said no! Then he said it would be all right. My son left Wyoming the morning of December 20th, 2002, and so did his friend. When my son returned to Wyoming the evening of the 29th, his vehicle was gone. We, after several long distance phones, discovered that the roommate had had it towed off and impounded. My son's friend on returning to the townhouse discovered a note that the roommate had left him on his bed - stating that the vehicle was in his way, and if it wasn't moved by early afternoon, he would have it towed. The roommate knew both boys had left for Christmas break, he was leaving that day also (he will not be returning until January 14th, 2003), the vehicle was not in his way, he wouldn't even be around for a month! The vehicle was parked there for less than 6 hours, he had it towed on the 20th. This little incident has cost us almost $500.00 to get the vehicle released. Did this young man have the right to tow it away? Since my son received verbal permission from one of the other leasees and parked in that tenant's parking spot...was it illegal? I would like to know if I should pursue this in small claims court. I feel this was a very childish vindictive act and I'd like to spank this young man with a 2 x 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back