Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Vehicle Theft

Jurisdiction
Washington
My car was stolen and stripped for parts in the state of Washington. It was recovered after being stripped and there was a witness who saw the suspect driving the car after being stripped and drop it off in front of their residence. The witness was the suspects neighbor. There were also two video surveillance cameras that unfortunately were recorded over. No one came to view them in time before being recorded over.

The witness called the police and told them who they saw driving the car after being stripped and park it and then walk into their apartment. The witness was the neighbor living next door and saw all of this happen. The police came and spoke with the suspect and took down his information.

Nothing happened after that. Is a witness not enough to prosecute car theft?

There were also two video surveillance cameras that unfortunately were recorded over. No one came to view them in time before being recorded over.

Well, if it was your video system, you could have stopped the continued recording or saved a copy before it got erased. If it was somebody else's system, did you ask for a copy?

Is a witness not enough to prosecute car theft?

Should be.

What did the police tell you when you ask for a status on the case?

It wasn't my video surveillance. It was on an apartment building. I was told that detectives would be coming to view the tape. However I learned that they did not come in time and that the tapes were recorded over.

I didn't hear anything for a while. I was sent a letter from my auto insurance company maybe 6 months later saying that someone had been charged with the crime. However upon contacting the police department myself they said that no one had been charged only a suspect identified (the original one back at the time of the incident). I contacted the insurance company and they did state that they realized the message was sent in error not realizing it was only a suspect not someone who had been charged.

I was sent a copy of the police report upon request at the time and all it says is that the witness identified the suspect and the police went to the residence of the suspect and spoke with him and took down his name. No charges were made though.

And just how long ago was this?

Over a year ago. I don't expect anything to happen at this point. However am fairly upset the police didn't do much on their end. I would have thought they would at least get a search warrant and search the suspects apartment but I learned they didn't even do that. I am just curious and trying to figure out why nothing happened, I would have thought a witness would be substantial evidence.. and too bad about the tapes.

A witness would make an arrest very possible unless the police felt that the witness was unreliable. Or it could be that the suspect had a rock-solid alibi.

No one here can know why no action was taken. You would have to ask the police why no arrest was made in the case.

Over a year ago. I don't expect anything to happen at this point. However am fairly upset the police didn't do much on their end. I would have thought they would at least get a search warrant and search the suspects apartment but I learned they didn't even do that. I am just curious and trying to figure out why nothing happened,

That would be something to ask of your local prosecutor. That's where the decision is made to prosecute or not prosecute.

But the local prosecutor does not normally get involved in determining probable cause to arrest out in the field. Normally the police would conduct an investigation and determine if that probable cause exists.

The local police agency should be contacted first to get the details.

Back