Vehicle Tampering: Can I Fight It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deagle25

I'll try to make this as brief and skimmable as possible, so here are the facts:

1.) I attend the University of California, Santa Barbara. It is my first year here (going on second)

2.) I was in Isla Vista (the neighboring web of party-streets)

3.) I got a ticket for "Vehicle Tampering"

4.) Circumstances of the tampering ticket: I supposedly punched a side-view mirror, breaking it. Immediately after I tapped the sideview mirror, a cop pulls me to the side, with me being stunned of course.

5.) The truth: the sidewalk was packed with my friends, there was a brick wall to the left, cars on parked on the right of the sidewalk. It was a tight fit. The side-view mirror was already broken, and I merely hit it with my hand because there was no room.

6.) I have two witnesses who are willing to corroborate, and I took pictures of the sidewalk, the car, the sideview mirror, etc.

7.) Can I fight this ticket? It's $500 and I am piss poor AND in debt.

8.) If I go into court and contest the ticket, what happens? Also, will I need to pay bail? If so, how much is it usually?

My court date is on the 24th of this month, but I might reschedule it for a later date. Any help would be phenomenal. Thanks, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back