Vehicle repo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom

I live in Maryland. I have missed a few car payments because I lost my job. I have been sending them money a little at a time to make at least one payment, which I was told was the minimum I would have to make to avoid repo. I have not had the money to send in a payment at once, but I have sent 2 partial payments already, and am planning to send 2 more to complete one payment, but I have been told there is a repo order on my car already. I have not been "hiding" my car, but have been parking it so that it cannot be gotten to at night-time. I am planning to demand an order of replevin for them to repo, do I have that right in Maryland?:(

I believe Maryland is a self-help repo state. No order of replevin required. Nor am I sure how requiring them to get the order would help you. If they get a writ of replevin, they can require you to attend court to prove your ownership and if you don't attend you could go to jail. They also get to redeem the merchandise (i.e. sell the car) immediately, no waiting period like there is in a self-help repo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back